Monday, 28 July 2014

Tommy K

Tomato Ketchup Recipe

Where would the British seaside institution of fish and chips be with out a spot of tommy k?  Salty sea air, the squawk of the gulls, bundled up in your rain coat, huddling on a cold harbourside bench, watching the boats bob about, munching on chips and tomato sauce... it's life affirming stuff and what childhood memories are made of!

Also I love ketchup my Sunday morning eggs... cereal, yogurt and fruit during the week is quick and tasty, but nothing beats a lazy weekend breakfast topped with sweet and tangy tomato ketchup... (except maybe bacon, obviously). 

So one morning as I was still trying to eke out the dreggs of a bottle of Heinz, rooting around with a knife for the secret cache that I was sure would be in there if i poked and shook it hard enough, my hubby suggested that I should maybe, you know, give up and buy some more... or even just make some...  Oh lord I love that man and his brilliant suggestions!

Tomato Ketchup Recipe

The recipe below comes by way of  Jamie Oliver... although I kind of disregarded a lot of what he says and did my own thing... leaving out some ingredients, making substitutions, adding in a few bits that needed using and brazenly skipping a bit of the standing-over-the-cooker faff.  So you can just go read Jamie's recipe, as i'm sure it's just as nice ;) or you can stick around and read mine... which is tippety top yummy too, but just a bit more rough and ready... either way, get your ketchup on!

Tomato Ketchup Recipe

A glug of olive oil
600g chopped mixed fresh tomatoes
400g tin of plum tomatoes
A stick of celery
1/2 a small fennel bulb
A small white onion
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 tbs coriander seeds
1/2 tbs mustard seeds
1/2 tbs sumac
A good squidge of sriracha,
A grind of pepper
A generous pinch of salt
300ml water
Bunch of basil, leaves only
3 big gherkins
5 sundried tomatoes
150ml sherry vinegar
80g soft brown sugar

Roughly chop the tomatoes, garlic celery, onion and fennel, pop them in a heavy bottomed pan with the oil, tinned tomatoes, corriander seeds, mustard seeds, sumac, sriracha, pepper and salt and pour over the water.  Bring to the boil, then turn down to a gentle simmer 30-45 mins until it's reduced by half.

Add the sauce to a blender along with the basil leaves, gherkins, and sundried tomatoes, whizz untill as smooth as you think it will go, and then some. Now is the tedious bit, but i promise you it's worth it... Sieve the sauce twice it really does make it much more glossy, smooth and ketchup like.

Put the seived sauce in to a clean pan with the vinegar and sugar and then simmer until it reduces a bit more and looks like ketchup... about 15 minutes.

Decant into sterilized containers, store in a cool dark place or in the fridge until ready to use.

Enjoy on your chips.  Or eggs.  Or whatever else you fancy.

Tomato Ketchup Recipe

There are a lot of things you could add to or leave out of this recipe, I think at the very basic end; tomatoes, onion, water, salt, pepper, mustard seeds, vinegar and sugar should do it, and would probably be a touch more tomato-y.  If you're making your own though, why not add in some extras, feel free to mix it up.

Have a sweet and tasty week...

16 comments:

  1. What a fantastic idea! If I was any good in the kitchen I'd be all over this :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, I love ketchup. I could practically drink it. I had never heard it called Tommy K before but I think that's really funny because I had a friend in school whom we called Tommy K. He had a long Greek last name that began with a K. I wish I'd known it was another name for ketchup too. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tee Hee! Imagine the fun you would have had if you'd know! I'm not sure if it's just me, a Yorkshire thing or even just a British thing but i've always called it Tommy K. x

      Delete
  3. This looks delicious!!! Did you make the fries, too? Because they look amazingly good too. So, question, what are gherkins? I don't think I've ever heard of them before. Still, this looks just fantastic.

    http://howtomakehome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren! I did make the fries, I just boiled the potato and bashed them about a bit before using spray oil to bake them, they were delicious! Gherkins are I guess what you might call pickles, mini cucumbers pickled in vinegar, sometimes called cornichons :o)

      Delete
  4. Never thought to make my own ketchup, bet it tastes really nice too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apart from the sieving, it's really quite easy and yep, super tasty... give it a go Joy! x

      Delete
  5. Now this looks delicious!!! Absolutely divine! With my little guy having food allergies I always have a hard time finding recipes that we can do and this we can do!!! Thank you for sharing this one! Yummy! Nicole xoxo Happy day you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds delicious and looks so good. Tommy K has been on my 'to make' list for months, if not years, but it is one of those things that I have never got round to making. After seeing this, I really need to move it higher up my list! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a go, it's super easy! x

      Delete
  7. Oh Cate you need to stop doing this, I am reading this rather late at night and now I want chips. But the chips would have to be served with this yummy tommy ketchup. I will be trying this out at the weekend. Hoping I can convince you on the lemon ice, here's wishing Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Lucy ;) The chips were really rather good! I'd love to see a picture if you do make some, it's super easy! The lemon ice cream is definitely on my list of things to do, I think I'm gonna go with your suggestion of limoncello and use a mascarpone base, I'll let you know when I've perfected it! x

      Delete

Thank you for popping by and leaving a comment, I appreciate each and every one! If you have a question I'll reply here so please pop back, x